Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Foley Farms Maple Syrup = mmmmmmmmmmm!

As some of you already know, we bought a new home this past December. One of the coolest things this home has to offer is a 1/3 acre yard with a handful of sugar maple trees. And you know what comes from sugar maple trees right? Maple syrup!!!!!! So I took some tips from my good friend Gabe who taps his trees in Tolland and gave it a whirl. Needless to say it was nothing short of amazing!! I guess it gave me a sort of "primitive" sense of accomplishment (or something like that????) to utilize mother nature in her purest form.

I'm still collecting sap so I can have enough to throw a Foley Farms French Toast party featuring my wife Erin's famous pumpkin french toast. Seriously, so stay tuned! The one draw back is that it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 cup of syrup. That's right! 40 to 1, and now you now why the real stuff is sooo expensive.

Check it out! 1st batch = 2 1/2 cups




14 comments:

Krissy said...

Wow! That is so awesome! I'm jealous. I know what you mean by having a "primitive" sense of accomplishment. Someday my husband and I want to become bee keepers - for I guess similar reasons. Ha,ha

Hey, I stumbled upon your blog by accident one day, I'm glad - I love your work. Thanks for sharing.

Craig said...

Where is the taste-o-vision when you need it! Looks great!

Rick O said...

Rock on with your bad maple-syrup self!

*the mama said...

that Gabe - who knew...;)

miss you guys, xo, a

Bill said...

No taste-o-vision, but if you scratch the images -I swear I smell something good cooking!

Andi Walpurgis said...

YUMMY....just looking at it makes me want french toast...

carla ten eyck said...

YUM. Did you try it straight and see what it tastes like?

Tony Spinelli Photography said...

Now I'm craving pancakes!

E. Broderick Photography said...

Mmm...looks great. How'd it taste? You deserve to be rpud--sounds like kind of a lot of work! 40 to 1?! Yikes.

E. Broderick Photography said...

'rpud' is supposed to say proud. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

THE BEST MAPLE SYRUP I HAVE EVER HAD! I have been craving it for about a week now!!

Robin Dini Photography said...

this is sooooo cool. I would love to learn how to do this. I don't have trees, but I'm sure my parents do on their property.

listening to your PHODcast right now...loving it!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!! I'm seriously, so jealous right now....I'm Canadian so as you know, maple syrup runs through my veins.

Unknown said...

i want me some syrup!!!!!