Thursday, February 26, 2009

Off Camera Flash Sally and Patryk

Okay, I forgot to post a few killer off camera flash shots I grabbed from Sally and Patryk's wedding so I wanted to share. I get allot of emails from other photographers asking me how to go about using the off camera flash technique so I thought I would share a few tips.

- I always start with my flash(s) set at manual 1/8 power to start and then adjust from there. I use a Canon 5D, 3 - 580 EXII flashes (one on my camera with a diffuser attached) plus 3 - Pocket wizards w/ light stands.

-The first thing I always try to do is grab a test shot with the available light so I can adjust the power on my flash(s) and camera settings. Use your assistant or 2nd shooter if available.

- Once you find your correct settings it's really all technique and creativity from there.

- Make sure your subject is in between you and your flash. The tricky part for the rim lighting effect is making sure you can't see the flash in your viewfinder. It's best for the flash to be either behind your subjects head(s) (about 10 feet) or just out of the frame in your camera. Although, sometimes you can get some really cool effects with the flash directly in your sight. It's all relevant to your style and the "look" your going for.

- Sometimes to make it easier, I will set up two flashes to offset the couple dancing and hit different angles (can be tough when they are moving quickly). Of course the slower they dance the easier it is to track your flashes and place them where you want in your frame.

- And last but not least, be creative! Put the flash or flashes all over the place. On the floor, 10 feet in the air or even across the room. It's all trial by error from there.

Here are a few from my last wedding.


Here the flash was on the ground pointing up towards heads.

Here the flash was about 10 feet behind the brides head.
Here the flash was just out of my frame on the floor which allowed the cool burst effect.
This one broke my own rules with the flash directly at the top half of the frame. I love this one because of the light shower effect.
Again, just off the outside of the frame. This gives an awesome light streaking effect.

I enjoy using the flashes to give the dance shots life and to create atmosphere. I think it works.

Eric

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

You totally rocked it!! I need to break out the stuff I bought more than a year ago! I wont be afraid any longer! :)

Rick O said...

Go Eric Go Eric :) That's great you share like that - I do the same when I set up some funky lighting..

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

dude as always i lobe your lighting at the receptions! love the image of the feets!

Candace Jeffery Photography said...

Great post Eric.

Andi Walpurgis said...

WOW..the love the pictures...I get nervous at times using my flash...you make it look so easy...might have to follow you around one wedding to see how you do it....

Erik Maziarz said...

you are the bomb! thanks so much for sharing that!

Amanda said...

wow! that is killer lighting~ i love it! i am going to have to try it out myself! thanks for the awesome tips! and thanks for visiting my blog!

e. broderick photography said...

So cool that you shared this. I am really wanting to learn and experiment more with off camera flash but it is so intimidating to me for some reason! Great job. I guess I just have to play!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! The pictures get better every time I see them!!! I think I have to get married a few more times just to get more of your pics!

Caitlyn said...

LOVE the new banner of the blog!! Looks great

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, I really love the 3rd shot of all the feet, cool post!!