Thursday, April 10, 2008

Reality Check

Today I was contacted by my old friend Pedro from my military years which I have not spoken to in about 5 years. I was rather surprised to hear from him but none the less, happy that he contacted me. Pedro and I were great friends during our time in the Navy and have shared many good times!

Unfortunately, Pedro told me that a fellow sailor that we were all friends with was killed by a roadside bomb in July of last year. His name was Petty Officer 1st Class Jeff Chaney. Jeff was like a big brother to me during our stay stationed in Williamsburg, VA. He was a great friend and was always fun to be around. He was the guy who you always wanted to hangout with because you knew if he was involved, there was going to be much fun to be had. Needless to say, we partied many a night!

Jeff and I lost contact a year or so after I got out of the Navy and he got sent overseas. It's been 11 years since I got out but I remember him like it was yesterday. There aren't too many stories I tell of my military escapades that don't involve Jeff in some way, he was always in the middle of the action.

I have to tell you though, I am feeling sick to my stomach as I sit here and write this. Jeff had two kids, a daughter and a son which I know he loved more than the world. It saddens me deeply to think about how they miss their dad as I think of how my kids would feel as well. I guess the reality check comes because we all see and hear everyday about roadside bombs and the soldiers and civilians who are killed by them. We stop and think, feel sorry for, and then carry out the rest of our day. It doesn't hit home because it's not someone we know, we've become desensitized to the fact that people are dieing everyday because it dominates the media and life. These are real people with real families. Babies will grow up only to know their mom or dad by a picture, not even a memory! It makes me sick and I don't even know why or what they are dieing for!! Yes I am getting angry! My wife Just gave birth to our daughter on Friday so it really cuts me to think about his kids. I'm sure if you have kids you understand.

Jeff was only 35, way too young to die. The one thing I can say though is that he died doing something he truly believed in. He died for all of us like every other soldier has and we owe them forever.

Jeff, I will miss you and never forget the great times we had.

Eric

Here is a picture of Jeff.

6 comments:

Eric Foley said...

Thanks J, I appreciate it! There is NOTHING good about war, unfortunately it is the world we live in.

*the mama said...

Campions best friend was killed in a similar situation 2 or so years ago in Iraq. he was a great guy. it is so sad. it is so unfortunate.

we will be thinking about you guys.

call and update us on how everyone is doing when you get a chance. i don't want to wake anyone.

hugs,
A

Unknown said...

What a touching and sad story. It truly does hit home when it's someone we know. Thank you for sharing.

nikki nicole photography said...

eric i am so sorry to about your friend. i agree with what you said. it is a shame with everything that has been going on.

my thoughts are with you!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

wow man so sorry to hear that. thank goodness that the time i was in i never knew anyone that had died. i feel for their loved ones. we can only keep praying for everyone's safety out there.

carla ten eyck said...

thank you for sharing your anger, your memories of your good friend and your compassion for his family... it really hit home for me as a mom to read this and reflect on all of those unknown people I hear about dying and remember they are someone's father, son and friend...

xxoo